Birthday celebrations – Kings birthday (MAC)

To kick off Mana Ako Club this week we had fun planning our very own 21st birthday party.  We looked at our guest list, a possible theme, menu and more! Today we are looking at King Charles birthday that was celebrated in NZ in the form of a public holiday. We celebrate this because we are part of the commonwealth.

What’s the commonwealth you might be wondering? Well the the Commonwealth of Nations, often simply referred to as the Commonwealth, is an international association of 56 member states, the vast majority of which are former territories of the British Empire from which it developed.

I think it’s a good idea for us to celebrate the King’s birthday because we get a free day off of school (Monday!) I also think it’s good because it’s nice to celebrate somebody’s birthday even if it’s not your own. It shows appreciation and respect.

thanks to wikipedia for the information!

In NZ as part of our celebrations we have the King’s Service Medal (created as the Queen’s Service Medal in 1975 and renamed in 2024).   It is a medal awarded by the government of New Zealand to recognise and reward volunteer service to the community and also public service in elected or appointed public office.  Thanks to the NZ Royal Honours site

Thanks to King’s Honours List

One thought on “Birthday celebrations – Kings birthday (MAC)

1. Bula Maraea from Pt England, My name is Gracie at Ruapotaka primary school.I really liked how you made your very own 21st birthday poster I also liked how you thanked the sources you used.Also if you could have your 21st birthday in the whole wide world, where would it be and why?I also encourage you to also look at my blog and check out my work. All the best from me can’t wait for future blogs! Ka pai nga mihi – Gracie